I think there is some benefit in building a close-knit, small group of advisers to help make informed, logical, and non-emotional decisions. I've been thinking about this idea for a while now, and I'm going to send off an email to a few friends to see if they would be interested in conducting an experiment of this sort.
The questions to answer are:
- If I ran my life like you run a business, could the structured approach produce better results than I could make on my own?
- Expanding on the 2 heads are better than 1, could I gain valuable insight from trusted friends who have a different, unique perspective than I?
- What subjects would be off-limits? (I would prefer these guys remain my friends after this experiment)
- How much personal information do I want to share, anyway?
Here are my ideas on building this team so far:
- The Boards (BoD) goal will be to review status reports and provide guidance on the subject at hand.
- Reports to the BoD need to be detailed but brief. This should be a low volume of material to maximize the time they spend, and hopefully improve the likelihood of receiving data back.
- You have to compensate the BoD for their efforts. (Ex. Guys weekend in Myrtle Beach or something)
I'll report back with my progress.